Flannery O’Connor’s Baffling Beautiful Vision: A Six-week Intensive
Despite being considered one of the great Christian writers of the twentieth-century, Flannery O’Connor’s fiction can be deeply weird, at times, and full of characters who are bitter, hateful, and repugnant. It can be baffling and disorienting. Her stories are full of violence and dishonesty and the grotesque. And yet they also carefully examine themes that are central to the Christian faith. So how can all of this be true at the same time? This course will examine the Christ-hauntedness of six of her stories, with careful consideration for her vision for the good life and good fiction, as well as her unique approach to depicting Christian faithfulness, on the one hand, and false-hearted error, on the other. And, hopefully, while we are at it, we’ll learn to enjoy the yarns she spins.
This course will be geared towards high school students and adults who would like to learn more about Flannery O’Connor.
Stories & Schedule
• Week 1: Greenleaf (February 19th, 2020)
• Week 2: The Life You Save May Be Your Own (February 26th, 2020)
• Week 3: Parker’s Back (March 4th, 2020)
• Week 4: Everything That Rises Must Converge (March 11th, 2020)
• Week 5: Revelation (March 18th, 2020)
• Week 6: A Good Man Is Hard to Find (March 25th, 2020)
Note: Classes will be held on Wednesday afternoons, from 4:00-5:30 pm (EST).
Books and resources we will be using for the course (Amazon links):
Other resources that will be referenced: