Students will explore gripping short stories, exciting novels, and lovely poems that capture our nation's history. All will be covered at a restful pace while learning the are art of writing beautifully and thinking well. The Lost Tools of Writing step-by-step instruction makes writing manageable even for students who lack experience or confidence in writing and its lessons in thinking, organizing, and expression will challenge and delight even experienced and eager writers. Students will complete nine essays over the course of the year.
Class lectures will include poetry discussions, literature discussions, and writing instruction. Students are required to finish reading the companion literature on their own prior to the introduction of each new LTW I essay.
Suggested Age: 12 years old and up
- The Lost Tools of Writing Level One - Student Workbook
- The Call of the Wild — Dover Thrift Edition ISBN-10: 0486264726
- The Red Badge of Courage — Dover Thrift Edition ISBN-10: 0486264653
- The Scarlet Letter — Dover Thrift Edition ISBN-10: 0486280489
- The Gold-Bug and Other Tales – Dover Thrift Edition ISBN-10: 0486268756
- Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington — Dover Thrift Edition ISBN-10: 0486287386
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer — Dover Thrift Editions ISBN-10: 0486400778
- The Gift of the Magi – provided my instructor with online free resource link
- The Old Man and the Sea — ISBN-10: 0684801221
- The Glass Menagerie — ISBN-13: 978-0822204503
- To Kill A Mocking Bird — ISBN-10: 0446310786
- Poetry links will be provided by the instructor.
Registration numbers: Minimum. 4; Maximum 14