“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.” -The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien
For over twenty years, The CiRCE Institute has been at the forefront of the Christian Classical renewal. Our commitment to recover and spread this rich inheritance drives us deeper into the tradition, for when The Light pierces us we can pierce the darkness. We are privileged to share this quest with you.
As it did for you, 2020 presented new challenges for CiRCE. We had to find new ways to pursue the old paths. But the pursuit of wisdom and virtue transcends circumstance. Challenges became opportunities, and those opportunities bore fruit because of your partnership with us. These challenges highlight how much we need flexibility and how much your support enables us to adapt. Please consider partnering with us.
There are several ways you can contribute:
- Provide a one-time gift of any amount
- Join our monthly giving program
- Become a CiRCE Patron with a donation of $1,000 or more
- Find out if your company matches charitable gifts
If you prefer, you can mail a check to 81 McCachern Blvd, Concord NC 28025. All donations are tax-deductible and giving statements will be issued early in the new year.
We serve the classical community as a not-for-profit because the need is so great. We are committed to providing low-cost and often free resources to accommodate people with limited means. Our small margins at times place us in a precarious position, but we trust that what our Lord wants us to do, He will enable, often through you.
What you enabled in 2020
- Over 4,500 teachers trained in Christian classical pedagogy through 8 Apprenticeships, The Atrium, 6-week Intensives, Webinars, and Workshops
- Expanded online course offerings, more than doubling the number of students in our online classes
- 12 podcasts across our network that were downloaded an average of 180,000 times a month
- Our first virtual college fair connecting students with colleges that value them
- New releases from The CIRCE Press: 30 Poems To Memorize, The Comparison Essay, A Classical Guide to Narration by Jason Barney, and The 25th: New and Selected Essays by Joshua Gibbs
One of the hardest moments of 2020 for us came in July. While not as grave as other losses this year, postponing our national conference was a difficult decision. For 19 years over 300 people have feasted on a week of joy, rest, and contemplation in the Classical renewal. So we decided to move the conference online. Speakers volunteered to be a part of the Steadfast Gratitude virtual conference, we were able to offer it free of charge, and in the end, over 1700 people attended this first virtual conference. Another 900 attended our Fall virtual conference.
When schools closed and co-ops were canceled, many students and families were cut off from their Christian Classical communities. We responded with The Daily Gathering to give children and parents a place to start their day together with a time of prayer, music, art, and story. A program we thought would be a few weeks stretched to several months. In fact, it returned for the new school year.
Thanks to you, challenges in became opportunities in 2020.
Every little bit helps. Thank you for partnering with us.